Monday, August 3, 2009

Decide Who You Are

Decide Who You Are

My name is Andrew Vogl, I have been working with families of children with autism, ,Asperger’s Syndrome, and PDD NOS for the last fifteen years. I have begun writing about my program and the approaches I teach parents in my daily work around Connecticut. This program is designed to help all ages and only differs in specifics when the age varies.

It is important to decide if you are going to help your child. This doesn’t mean that you won't be able to receive help, but the core of what is imperative in taking the necessary actions in creating changes previously perceived as impossible. I am always extremely excited to teach this concept because I see it as the very thing that allows parents to create instant growth. In my mind, there shouldn't be any waiting involved in helping your child.

This program is not about excluding professionals; it’s merely about not waiting for them. I’ve met so many parents that continually tell themselves they don’t know what to do, they are not professional and therefore they can’t do anything. Meanwhile they end up waiting months or years for help while their child continues to cement the behavior and disconnectedness that they are most concerned about.

So many places for testing or treatment have waiting lists or may not fit what you are looking for to begin with. This is about taking action immediately. My life goal is to give parents something they can listen to or read and walk right in and begin doing something that will be helpful to their child.

Although I study many different modalities, one thing I have learned is that helping kids on the spectrum is not nearly as complicated as we think. It is time to get started, and declare you are going to help your child. Once you've done that, get started by simply learning everything about your child you can. Spend time listening to your child, playing with your child, or observing and learning about what your child is doing. When you are done make a schedule of how you are going to do this on a daily or weekly schedule. Check back for future articles or workshops that will provide more in-depth and specific explanations of what to do. Feel free to ask questions about your child by posting comments to this article.


Andrew Vogl

No comments:

Post a Comment