Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Introduction to Program for Autism Spectrum Disorders

My name is Andrew Vogl, I have been working with families of children with autism, ,Asperger’s Syndrome, and related diagnoses for the last fifteen years. I strive to bring a new, eclectic and simplified method of treatment for autism spectrum disorders. I have worked in and consulted with many different facets of this field from home based programs to various school based programs. I continue to bring new ideas into my program by my own research. My goal is to empower parents to use these simple strategies in the most effective way possible and to continue to bring together the many different approaches I have studied, into one comprehensive program.
In my counseling business I have experience with all ages and all levels of severity of the spectrum. I have spent a great deal of time individualizing my program and approach to meet both different and similar needs of the children and adults I have worked with.
This resource is meant to address one of my biggest frustrations I come across in my work, parents feeling like they have to wait for the right information to begin helping their child. I continually meet parents who believe they must wait for someone to tell them what to do, simply because they are not professionals.
My philosophy is to stay simple. I believe we over complicate many strategies with children on the spectrum and make it into something much more than it is. I continually attend meetings costing hundreds of dollars with little being accomplished. I am sometimes called a doer and always appreciate being called this because I try to create immediate changes.
This program is about doing something now! Your child is right in front of you, what are you waiting for? Half the things I teach parents, they already thought but spend far too much time doubting themselves and preventing their ideas from being used. What I am saying is, the need for educating ourselves first, comes from our emotional limitations not from a need to know something. This is not to say that strategies aren’t important, because I will eventually get into very specific strategies. All I am saying is there is an excessive dependency on STRATEGIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment